Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Smoothies

Welcome back!  Today, I'll be discussing the recent smoothie kick that I've been on.  With the warm weather finally coming on, you may find yourself craving a cold, refreshing snack. Smoothies are the perfect summer treat, and they're something that you all should get in your life.  Now.




Over the past year I've been consciously trying to eat healthier.  Cutting out junk food from a diet wasn't fun, but by doing so I've seen improvements in my energy levels, gym sessions, and my overall awesomeness. Fresh, homemade smoothies should have a place in any healthy diet.  They are versatile (you can drink them during any part of the day) and offer a plethora of health benefits - you can make them as healthy (or unhealthy) as you like.  Smoothies really are the 'choose your own adventure' of beverages.

I began making and experimenting with smoothies as a post-workout snack.  I try to keep the freezer stocked with a variety of frozen fruits - strawberries, blueberries, peaches, raspberries, and whatever else.  You'll find that frozen fruit is much cheaper than fresh fruit, and in my opinion it also makes for a better smoothie since all of the ingredients have a refreshing and icy temperature.  Usually I'll also throw in a fresh banana, as well.  Bananas are relatively bland in flavor, so other sweeter fruits such as strawberries complement them well.  Nonetheless, bananas are a good and common fruit to include in a smoothie not only because it gives the drink a nice texture, but they also are great energy-giving fruits as a result of their simple carbohydrates that the body can digest and use immediately.

Now, what should you use as a liquid base for the smoothie?  I've tried various products, ranging from whole milk to soy milk.  In my opinion, the best I've tried is Blue Diamond vanilla-flavored almond milk.  It's a great choice because it has no grams of fat, and also infuses the smoothie with a vanilla kick that regular milk does not.  I usually start out with 1-1.5 cups of this milk and see how it blends before adding more.  Finally, I like to use a couple scoops of Chobani vanilla yogurt for extra protein, carbohydrates, and also for thickness.  If you prefer your smoothie to be colder, throw in a couple of ice cubes in your blender.

Some of my favorite combinations that I've tried include strawberry/banana, strawberry/peach, and blueberry/raspberry.  One interesting recipe I tried included pumpkin pie-mix and nutmeg.  It was the best autumn food you could imagine.  Sometimes I'll pour in a little bit of authentic maple syrup or some cinnamon for a different taste, too.  There you have it.  Something that you can eat that's low in fat, high in health benefits, and extremely tasty.  That's the holy trinity of food.  What are you waiting for?  Once you get in the rhythm of creation, it'lll only take you about 5 minutes to make your drink. Promise.

Feel free to experiment with your own recipes.  I've found that it's pretty difficult to go wrong when concocting a smoothie.  Throw whatever you want in that blender.  In a later post, I'll discuss my thoughts on 'green' smoothies.

Not only will making smoothies make you feel like a mad scientist, you'll also be a healthier and more energetic person!  And you'll be more like me.  Who wouldn't want that?



No comments:

Post a Comment